About the SouthCoast Energy Challenge:
The Southeastern Environmental Education Alliance (SEEAL) has launched the SouthCoast Energy Challenge to engage and mobilize residents to become more thoughtful and efficient energy consumers. The program aims to reduce energy consumption by 15% among 35,000 SouthCoast households over three years. This approximately 120 million pound reduction in carbon dioxide emissions is equivalent to taking about 10,000 cars off the road! The Challenge promotes individual action as well as friendly competition among towns, schools, businesses, congregations, and non-profits.
The primary focus of the SouthCoast Energy Challenge Outreach & Organizing Interns will be community outreach through canvassing and tabling at events to spread awareness and increase participation in the Challenge. The successful interns will work closely with the Program Coordinators to organize and promote the Challenge in the Greater New Bedford area, with an initial focus on Dartmouth. While some of the work will be in the SouthCoast Energy Challenge Dartmouth Initiative office, the Organizing Team will be expected to work predominantly in the community at large. We are seeking college aged or older applicants for these positions, and requesting a one semester (4 month) commitment with the possibility of staying on into the Winter and Spring of 2013.
• Doing outreach by attending special events and neighborhood canvassing sessions 2-3 times a week.
• Meeting agreed upon numbers of the new Challenge registrations per week.
• Weekly Blog posts about related topics.
• Contact/Registrant database maintenance and expansion—including entering hard copy registrations into the system. Some web maintenance.
• Social Media and Marketing contributions.
• A demonstrated interest in energy and sustainability-related issues.
• Eagerness for learning and practicing grassroots organizing skills.
• Excellent social skills—ability to fearlessly talk to anyone!
• Ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, both individually and as a team.
• Persistence, flexibility, creativity, and enthusiasm.
• Valid driver’s license and personal transportation.
• Aged 18 or older.
Timeline & Compensation:
Beginning September 17, 2012: Internship days will be primarily Monday-Friday, with flexibility in consideration of school schedules. Interns will also be required to work up to 3-5 weekend days a month (mostly Saturdays). Internship hours negotiable upon hiring—but will require 10-15 hours per week. For more information, visit www.southcoastenergychallenge.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 508-910-1871.
Please submit resume and cover letter no later than September 9, 2012 to:
Andy Erickson, Community Organizer, email@example.com or mail to:
SEEAL attn: SouthCoast Energy Challenge Community Outreach & Organizing Internship, 63 Union Street, New Bedford, MA 02740.